All current and prospective members have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. These rights are enforced by imposing sanctions for violations of the Sorority’s policies and procedures. A cornerstone of the Sorority’s Risk Management and Anti-Hazing policy is the prohibition of hazing.
Hazing has been prohibited in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority since the organization was founded in 1908. In 1999, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority reaffirmed its total opposition to hazing with the publication of a tougher Anti-Hazing Policy and the implementation of new procedures to identify, investigate and punish violations.
Hazing will not be tolerated in any form.
DEFINITION OF HAZING
Hazing is defined as an act or series of acts that include, but are not limited to:
- Physical acts, such as hitting, striking, laying hands upon or threatening to do bodily harm to any individual(s), while acting in one’s capacity as a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
- Behavior which is directed against any individual(s) for the purpose of causing shame, abuse, insult, humiliation, intimidation or disgrace.
- A variety of prohibited practices, including but not limited to, “underground hazing,” “financial hazing,” “pre-pledging,” “post-pledging” or “post-initiation pledging” during the Membership Experience (ME).
UNOFFICIAL/ IMPROPER/ UNAUTHORIZED CONTACT AND/OR ACTIVITIES
Membership—Graduate and Undergraduate—can only be obtained by completing the Sorority’s official Membership Experience (ME). Contact with current, suspended, or expelled members and/or activities outside of the official ME process are strictly prohibited. Undergraduate candidates shall not participate in any membership activity without the presence of a Graduate Advisor.
To assist candidates in determining who may not contact them on behalf of the Sorority, below are descriptions of the suspension and expulsion penalties, and separate links to list all suspended and expelled members irrespective of the specific reasons for the punishment.
EDUCATING MEMBERS AND CANDIDATES:
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority makes every effort to fully disclose its Anti-Hazing Policy, by including but not limited to:
- Distributing brochures through university officials and graduate advisors, who, in turn, distribute them to students likely to attend Sorority Rush. These brochures outline the Sorority’s Anti-Hazing Policies.
- Training chapters on the Risk Management policies during workshops conducted before each chapter begins its Membership Experience (ME)/Rush activities. Undergraduate and graduate members involved in the Membership Experience (ME) must promise to treat candidates with respect by signing a Commitment Statement that affirms they will not participate in hazing.
- Distributing a letter to all Rush participants from the respective Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Regional Director that defines hazing and outlines procedures for reporting hazing incidents. This letter is also read audibly as part of the Rush agenda.
- Providing all Rush participants with a copy of the Sorority’s Anti-Hazing Policy.
- Providing training to graduate advisors and/or graduate councils/committees who serve as mentors for undergraduate members to ensure the Rush and the MEs are conducted properly without hazing incidents.
ANTI-HAZING POLICY VIOLATIONS
Any individual or chapter violation of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority’s Anti-Hazing Policy will result in an individual’s suspension or expulsion, a chapter’s suspension or revocation of the chapter’s charter. A fine may also be imposed.
In addition, hazing activities may result in official discipline by a college/university or the imposition of civil and criminal penalties for individuals and/or chapters.
SUSPENSION SANCTIONS AND LIST OF SUSPENDED MEMBERS
Suspension of a member disqualifies the individual from participating in ALL Sorority activities, in any capacity, until restored to good standing by the Regional Director, upon approval of the International President. The Sorority maintains a current list of suspended members which can be found here.