By uniting individual efforts, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority has built a strong, cohesive organization that positively impacts the lives of families and communities. The Sorority's success is based on the depth of commitment, vision and confidence of its members.
Alpha Kappa Alpha seeks women who will promote, uphold, and extend its policies and programs. In return, the Sorority is a conduit through which individuals can grow and develop, personally and professionally, while simultaneously providing "Service to All Mankind."
Membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority is generally classified as undergraduate or graduate. In both classifications:
- Prospective members must have high ethical and moral standards;
- Membership can only be obtained by completing the Sorority's official Membership Intake Process (MIP);
- Interested candidates should not participate in demeaning, degrading or unkind acts. Should members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority ask you to perform tasks or participate in activities other than those outlined in our MIP, they are in violation of the Sorority's policies and practices and do not represent the values of the organization. This behavior will not be tolerated.
Membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will not be extended to:
- An individual who knowingly participates in activities outside of the official Membership Intake Process;
- An individual who knowingly participates in activities which are demeaning, degrading or demoralizing;
- An individual who knowingly submits falsified documents or credentials.
- Matriculation as a full-time student where the campus chapter is located; or matriculation as a full-time student in a school in the community where a city chapter of undergraduate status is located;
- Completion of at least one successful grading period (or a defined by the university) as a full-time student at the institution where application is made;
- A cumulative average of C+ and semester average of C+ immediately prior to submitting an application for membership. [In those two-, three- or four-year senior colleges/universities using pass-fail, required competency or good standing systems of grading, either shall be acceptable.];
- Attendance at the official Rush.
The process for undergraduate membership begins with Rush. The date, location and time of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority activity will be posted a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to the event. Any individual who does not attend the Rush activity is ineligible to be considered for candidacy and may be considered during a subsequent Rush/MIP period.
The Sorority's undergraduate Membership Intake Process (MIP) begins when an Official Acceptance Letter is received. THERE WILL BE NO MEMBERSHIP ACTIVITIES BETWEEN RUSH AND RECEIPT OF THIS OFFICIAL LETTER. MIP activities in the name of the Sorority prior to Rush are prohibited. The university may have additional requirements, which will impact this process. There is no pre-pledging or pledging requirements for membership.
Click on the below header (link) for additional information:
General Information for the Collegian Brochure
Contact the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority graduate advisor on campus with any additional questions pertaining to the Membership Intake Process.
- Completion of at least a baccalaureate degree with a cumulative average of at least C+ or a graduate degree from an accredited senior college/university;
- Motivation and ability to promote and extend the policies and programs of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
The Sorority's official graduate Membership Intake Process (MIP) is by invitation only through one of our local graduate chapters and may not be solicited. Chapters host public events, such as forums, cultural presentations and social activities, which you may wish to attend in order to become acquainted with Sorority members and their community service activities in your area. The Chapter Locator section of this site provides chapter names and contacts in your community.
The MIP begins with an Official Letter of Invitation, on chapter stationery, signed by the local graduate chapter president AND membership chair. THERE WILL BE NO MEMBERSHIP ACTIVITIES PRIOR TO RECEIPT OF AN OFFICIAL LETTER OF INVITATION. Participation in MIP activities in the name of the Sorority prior to receipt of this official letter is prohibited. There is neither pledging nor a Rush.
Candidacy is also contingent upon approval of the required materials submitted by the prospective candidate.
A candidate who is the daughter, granddaughter, adopted daughter, stepdaughter or legal ward* of an active or deceased member is considered a Legacy Candidate.
* For Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, a legal ward is defined as one whose permanent care, control, and custody legally have been placed with a member of the Sorority by an appropriate court of law.
Undergraduate- The living family-member must have been active for at least two (2) years immediately preceding the membership application for the undergraduate Legacy Candidate. Any undergraduate who applies for membership under the legacy provision must meet all of the requirements for undergraduate membership.
Graduate - The living family-member must have been active for at least two (2) years immediately preceding the presentation of recommendation for the Legacy Candidate. Graduate Legacy Candidates must meet all of the requirements for graduate membership.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can I participate in membership intake related activities, such as attending meetings or study sessions, wearing specific apparel or performing tasks prior to Rush, if I am asked to do so by a member of the Sorority?
A. No. Such activities are prohibited. Membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will not be extended to individuals engaging in membership intake activities prior to Rush.
Q. Is it possible for me to be considered for membership if I attend a four-year college/university that does not have a chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority?
A. Yes. Review the Sorority's criteria for membership as outlined in the Undergraduate Membership section above. You can be presented for General Membership in the Sorority by the graduate chapter in your college community or by the graduate chapter in your home community. Use the Chapter Locator to identify chapter names and contacts.
Q. What is the process for chartering an Alpha Kappa Alpha chapter on a campus that does not have one?
A. Contact the Regional Director for information regarding an Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority chapter on your campus. [Regional Director contact information is available in the Contact Us section of the site. To determine if your campus is located in the International Region, consult the chapter listings in the About The Region section of the site.]
Q. Is there another method for me to become a member of the Sorority if I attend a college/university that has an inactive chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority?
A. No. If your campus chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority is inactive, it is not possible for you to become a member of the Sorority at this time.
Q. Can I become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority if I attend a community college?
A. No. The Sorority's membership requirements include attendance at a four-year college/university that confers baccalaureate degrees.